Here is some of what's going on right now in the TSMS community. Click around:
- An Update on TSMS Fundraising
Thank you to our community for so much support!
- **Hurricane Sandy Help and Useful Resources**
Online Sign-Up For Those in Need
- ONLINE CLASS NEWSPAPERS
Students in 6th and 8th grade Journalism have been working hard over the last few months to create the first issue of a class newspaper. They practiced observing, taking notes, conducting interviews, and researched how journalists on their chosen "beat" write news stories. Finally, they drafted their stories, and spent time revising and editing to make them as professional as possible. Check them out online here!
- Watch the
historic opening ceremony
of our rooftop garden
Speeches by parents, politicians, and principals!
- Doing online shopping this season? Select Tompkins Square Middle School at btfe.com and earn 'box tops' for the school.
- 8th Grade Science Fair 2012! Surf our experiment pages to see what 8th grade scientists have been cooking up in the TSMS lab.
- HEAR OUR WORDS: 8th Grade (2011-12) Civil Rights Speeches and Poems
Read and LISTEN to our students' projects!
- Looking to learn about Ancient China? Our 6th graders (2011-2012) created websites for Schools of Ancient Chinese Philosophy: Find a school near you!
- Online WWII Magazines. Check out the amazing work that our 8th graders (2011-12) produced in researching, writing, designing, and publishing their own feature articles. Read them online: Lance and Rebecca's classes | Mary, Rebecca, and Stacey's classes
- TSMS Reads! See what books students, staff, and families love -- watch and listen to our TSMS Reads! audio and video book recommendations.
- Yearbook Club's pictures of many things TSMS, including tours of classrooms and student work.
- View terrific Student Artwork from Ms. Lackey's classes.
- Watch SSA's: Student Service Announcement Videos!
- Have some math fun with 6th Grade Math Games & Skill Builders.
- For a complete list of teacher and class web pages visit our Staff Page.
- And don't forget to check tonight's homework!
Middle School serves a diverse community of 380 students in grades six
through eight in NYC's lower east side. TSMS is a community with high
learning standards dedicated to fostering ethical, caring,
self-reflecting and critical thinkers.
Founded in 2001 by a
grassroots coalition of neighborhood parents and local educators, TSMS
has grown into an award-winning NYC public school. Most recently, TSMS
was named a Rising Star Middle School in the annual Blackboard Awards.
TSMS is at its core a self-reflective community of students, parents,
What sets Tompkins Square Middle School
apart? The diversity of its student body. The intelligence,
warmth, and commitment of its staff. The interdisciplinary,
hands-on, tech-savvy nature of its curriculum. The individualized
attention that challenges and supports students at their own
level. The community feel, strengthened by pervasive small-group
Advisory sessions. Plus, the field trips and project simulations
occurring throughout the year, culminating in an overnight trip for each
TSMS is a member of NYC's Community
School District One.